22 June 2019

Benjamin Franklin Connection

Back in May, 2011, I ran across a ancestry connection to the infamous Benjamin Franklin ( Not a direct relationship). The Benjamin Franklin connection appears on my father's side of the family with  the Craighead, Holmes (Homes) and McGill

Let me see if I can get this ancestral connection straight. As I said in an earlier newsletter in 2011, "I found a link to Benjamin Franklin." It turns out that Benjamin Franklin was a brother-n-law of the 1st cousin 3x removed of husband of our 3rd Great Grand Aunt, Nancy McGill, daughter of Wm Nathan McGill, Jr.

Are you totally confused yet? Let me see if I can confuse you more and fill in some more names.

Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790) had an older sister, Mary Franklin (1694-1731), who married Robert Holmes (Homes), the second husband of Mary Franklin

Robert Homes was the son of Katherine Craighead, who was the daughter of Rev. Robert Craighead, who was the son of Rev. Thomas Craighead, who had a son, Rev. Alexander Holmes Craighead, who had a son, Capt. Robert Craighead, who was the paternal grandfather of Samuel Geddes Craighead, husband of my 3rd Great Grand Aunt, Nancy McGill.

Capt. Robert Craighead, who had a son Wm Craighead, who had a son Samuel Geddes Craighead.

Nancy McGill's father was Wm Nathan McGill, Jr, who was also the father to David Milton McGill, who had a son, Wm Pearson McGill, who was our Great Grandfather.
 W. P. McGill connects our grandfather, Wm Jacob McGill, who married Constance Estella Warwick. Their sons were Gene and Robert McGill. Gene McGill married Vada Paris and had four daughters, Connie Jean, Dorthy Eileen, Linda Kay and Amber Ann.

NOW! Do I have you totally confused?

This my short version of the Benjamin Franklin connection. Benjamin seems to me to be an in-law of more in-laws and cousins 3 times removed of our 2nd great grand aunt, Nancy McGill, and our 2nd great grand uncle, Samuel Geddes Craighead!

So . . . Is Benjamin Franklin related? There is not a direct relationship with the infamous genius known as Benjamin Franklin.

OH! What the heck!  Let's just say some interesting people crossed my McGill ancestors paths.

There were some Craighead's that married into our Warwick ancestors, also! If I can connect the Luttrell ancestors to the McGill's, then there were some Lord's, Sir's and possibly royals in that line!

You can find all sorts of funny family ties if you look long and hard enough, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment